For our patients who have general anesthesia or IV sedation as part of their treatment at St. Louis County Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, we ask that you review the following instructions.
- Follow all pre-operative instructions
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 6 hours before your procedure/surgery. You may have a sip of water if you need to take normal medications before your procedure.
- Bring a trustworthy adult with you who can drive you home after surgery.
- Avoid driving or strenuous activities for at least 24 hours after surgery. After 24 hours, observe how you are feeling and whether bleeding has stopped before resuming activities.
- It takes about 30 minutes for the major effects of anesthesia to wear off, but it could take longer, depending on your body. After your anesthesia wears off, you will be discharged from our office. You may want to rest at home for the remainder of the day, however, because of the effects of the medication.
- Remove any dark fingernail polish prior to surgery.
Following these instructions will help your visit and treatment at our practice run smoothly. If you would like more information, please contact our office. Please keep in mind that our oral and maxillofacial surgeons, Drs. Stemme, Weber, Weber, and Kincaid, will review all pre- and post-operative instructions with you prior to your actual surgical appointment. We are pleased to offer you and your family with safe oral and maxillofacial surgery in St. Peters, Chesterfield, and St. Louis, Missouri.