After undergoing a surgical procedure, our oral and maxillofacial surgeons have provided some post-operative instructions that will help your recovery process go well. Some of our post-operative instructions are for specific procedures, including:
- Surgical Instructions After Placement of Dental Implants
- Surgical Instructions After Tooth Extraction
- Pain prevention is taken seriously at our practice. Drs. Stemme, Weber, Weber, Kincaid, and Carn may prescribe a steroid for you to take right after your procedure to reduce swelling. You can also take acetaminophen with the steroid, or an NSAID.
- Antibiotics are usually only given to patients who have previously had implants placed. Alert our office if you are sensitive or have allergies to any medication we may recommend.
- Swelling may occur following your surgical procedure, and it usually peaks between 2-3 days after. To minimize the swelling, we recommend waiting at least a day before exertion. Elevate your head with two or three pillows when lying down, and apply a cold pack for 20 minutes, then off for 20 minutes, for the first 24 hours. After 24 hours, you may apply heat.
If you have any questions about oral and maxillofacial surgery in St. Louis, St. Peters, and Chesterfield, Missouri, please contact St. Louis County Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, and we will help you in any way we can.